Mi primera semana exitosa,

Monday, October 2nd
It is 4:46pm. I am just home, 18k+ steps deep, utterly exhausted and positively beaming. I have been on my feet for 10 hours straight, minus two 40-minute train rides. I had a 15-minute break the whole day long. I taught 7 lessons today. I did not help or assist or enhance, I ran the entire 55 minute session of all 7 classes on my Monday schedule.

I had half of this post already written in my head as I slow wandered home from Laguna station in the heavenly shade of all surrounding apartment buildings (a 28 minute walk from my school to the train station every afternoon along an unsheltered highway in 35 degree weather might kill me if this heat wave doesn’t break soon!), sipping my well-earned mango juice, trying to focus on the smile on my face and not the ache in my feet. But now that I am home and have collapsed onto my bed, I can feel my brain start to shut down into power-saver mode…

Today was by all measures, and in all aspects of the word: a success.

 Wednesday, October 4th
Today I arrived to my English Department staff room before my first lesson to find all of my fellow teachers finishing up an impromptu meeting of sorts. Big smiles and the friendliest of greetings and I am reminded of how lucky I already know I am to be here, in this school, on this staff. My Eso4° teacher quickly fills me in on the conversation I’ve just stepped into the conclusion of. My Head of department has been approved by our school’s Head Master to give me my own classroom in the school J J

The role of an English Language Assistant is to help facilitate and enhance the lessons by working to influence the students’ spoken skills and cultural awareness. I expected many things, having been lucky enough to work with some fantastic LAs in my Thai classrooms. In the most general definition of the role, it can easily be compared to a teacher’s assistant. In addition to keeping students on task and sparking their enthusiasm for the pre-planned classwork, their role is to bring language and culture alive in the classroom and across the school community, motivating students to learn and develop their understanding of the world around them.

I thought this would be an awesome experience, and a really good fit for me at this point in my career. Yes, I had just concluded two years as a full time teacher, 1 of those after being promoted to the Head of both Primary and Kindergarten departments. It was a huge take-on and an incredible learning experience (in more ways than just professionally), and I knew in comparison this year would be a major step back. I have always been fully aware of this! But more than my desire to simply teach, I have always wanted to experience the classroom from every possible angle and from all different contexts.

The role of ‘teacher’ comes in so many beautiful shapes and forms and more than anything I want to build my awareness and my appreciation for all different faucets of the job. I have loved being a full time teacher at both the Primary and Secondary levels, and I hope to carry that role into other age groups too. I want to teach mature students and adults in both a school and business environment. I would love to be a University TA someday, or even a Professor of Language or Education. I want to be a supply teacher, learning how to jump from one school to another on such short notice. I want to be a student mentor, a guidance councilor, even a school secretary! There is so much to learn in each of those roles, and I couldn’t think of a better place to start, or a more appropriate next step in filling out those career goals than here in Spain as a Language Assistant and Cultural Ambassador.

As the majority of Language Assistants are not trained teachers, we should not be asked to take sole responsibility for a whole class, deal with discipline issues or mark students’ work. These are things I do thoroughly enjoy and have built a sturdy confidence in and ability for throughout my years in England and Thailand. I knew I would miss these aspects of the job (though, of course, it would cut my workload in half). I had accepted these major role cut-backs, but as a qualified teacher I might have always wished for a slightly more useful or powerful role in the school.

And now suddenly I have my own classroom. I can plan my own full lessons, assess progress how I see fit, prepare materials and use resources and run activities independently. It is a huge relief and major reward to come so quickly in my time as a teacher here. As soon as my staff learned I had already trained to be a teacher, that these sorts of things might come second nature to me as soon as I walk into a classroom (after 2 days of them essentially observing this of my first introduction lessons), they were incredibly keen to offer me a much bigger role, a real opportunity for teaching and for learning, a perfect little bridge between this new foreign program and what I know and love.

I couldn’t be more thrilled.

Basically, I get to do all of the best parts of teaching, and none of the worst parts of teaching, lol. I get to move slowly through material, I have no pressure for results or numbers in testing; I work with ten students at a time. I get to build real relationships with these young humans, without the pressure of being the sole authoritative or disciplinary figure (though I get to practice this role when necessary too). I get to plan a small handful of awesome lessons and teach them over and over to all 16 classes, differentiated to suit each level’s needs and interests, absolutely perfecting them. I actually have the time to understand and notice these needs and interests! I already see the students’ faces light up when I walk into the classroom with their regular Spanish English teacher, the possibility of something new and different and fun swirling around me. 

I have this really secure feeling inside my chest that this is going to be such an awesome year here at this school with this wonderful staff and these eager learners. I’m off to dig up all of my most interactive & exciting lessons from over the years!


Friday, September 6th
I spent yesterday evening in my newest favourite company. My SpanishAussie treated me to rooftop gin & tonics, beet humus & guacamole, laughing and boasting and celebrating my first full (incredible) week of work. By noon on Thursday I was already on the train, buzzing at my first real weekend ahead and all the fun to be had. Dinner with the girls (& sand between our toes at Ojala) followed by cheep beer & tequila in Chueca, playing out-of-place judges for the crowd of regulars in their boy vs boy dance-offs. Sparkly-faced men double-cheek kissed and brought out our inner 90s pop fangirls as Enrique and Brittany and N*Sync took us all the way back to the glory days.





Today is the joy of wasting a whole day being hung over and lazy with reruns of Friends, knowing I have two more whole days (a whole real weekend!) ahead to take advantage of this beautiful downtime. Speaking of, next weekend is even more glorious with Fiesta Nacional de España giving us an extra day off still! All of the possibilities of a 5 night holiday is something equally wonderful and painful to me.

If anyone knows me in my abroad tendencies, you know how much I absolutely loathe travel. I really do, I have always said through and through I am not a traveller! I am a mover. Because when you up and move, you get yourself somewhere semi-permanently, and you give yourself time to figure it all out as you go! As I move from country to country, I am generally on no real time limit or under any real pressure to make the most of it. It just comes as it does (as it has been), the days pass and things get sorted and I get that most lovely of feelings of being settled.

Travel and organizing to travel gives me no such lovely feelings. There is stress and there is anxiety and there is major doubt in myself and my abilities to orchestrate the most time and money-efficient itinerary. Where should I go? How deep can I get into these link-after-link travel blogs, dozens of options open in different tabs across my browser, before I go mental trying to make that most crucial of decisions?

And when I get there?? Where do I stay? Why is there only one hostel in this entire town… that can’t be right? Or should I AirBnB? Or just splurge on a little hotel room because it’s right on the beach and will be easiest to navigate to once I arrive?...

Oh yeah! Arriving! … How. I hate the puzzle that is travel. The lining up of proper transportation, different legs of the journey, the dozens of different options of getting myself from point A to point B in a safe and efficient and costly manner (do I take the underground to the outskirts of town and then train north? Do I take the 18 hour bus instead because it is direct and cheap? Should I use Eurail or RENFE or the circanías or FUCK IT AND BOOK A FLIGHT.).

And then, in all of my frustrations and over-complicated, exhausted, googled-out misery, my SpanishAussie (my source of all Euro-knowledge, my biggest point of reference on a daily basis and an easy contact with all the many questions I had about traveling Spain), offered his own solution. A very simple option. An opportunity to avoid all long-weekend nightmares and potential solo-travel disasters:

We could take his car and road trip together. Forget public transit. Also, forget choosing an exact location or worrying which is best for this allotted period of time, he’ll decide for us. Finally, don’t fret over accommodations. He’s got that covered too.

Now, I had two options here. To choose to see this as a crazy proposal, an unrealistic offer, seeing as I have only know this young man (as great as I already think he is) for 10 days at most. I could remember the last time a man organized a weekend getaway with me, and how shit it felt to get stood-up last minute, bags packed, still hung over but willing. I could let myself fall deeply into longing and what-ifs at the morning messages I received from a once-upon-a-time, long-long-ago and far-far-away significant other, calling myself absurd for considering something so adventurous and intimate with any other human being…

Or, I could see it as a real opportunity. To have the most of this holiday made for me. To get over my fears and anxieties of being so near and so… stuck (essentially) with someone who is not that someone I had been stuck with for oh so many years. I could finally let myself realize that there are a lot of really incredible things in this big, beautiful world, and also inside of me and maybe it is time to really open myself up to the possibility of them, to the possibility of sharing them with someone else again. Isn’t that why I started doing all of this in the first place, all of those years ago as I boarded that plane to my first abroad life? Isn’t that why I have ever wanted to be doing what I’m doing? I am here specifically to uncover those beautiful things, to seek all of the allure and charm and wonder of this incredible world. I am here to let all of it reflect in me, inspire me, change me, teach me, water and grow me. 

Needless to say, I said yes.
{A mystery adventure awaits!}

Sunday, September 8th
7pm

The air smells deeply of flowers long-past bloom; an old-news bouquet, overripe and forgotten. A smell that once had a purpose, a clear reason, an affirmation of greatness.

The sun is warm and blinding at eye level, but tucked safely behind a graffitied pillar it shines proudly in its final hour, still perfectly illuminating the grace of this city only Sunday evenings know. Attractions of an amusement park in the distance twirl and dip and swirl, putting on a show for the mountains, dizzying the last of its weekend welcomed.

Everything is bathed in gold. Marigold, hearts of gold.

It is warm and beautiful and rich and gilded; the truest reflection of the week that has come all so suddenly to an end. There is nothing more suiting than sitting to reflect, feeling the earnest accomplishment in the glow of this day’s end. And even sitting here alone, watching families and couples and loved ones stroll past, arm in arm, I am totally content. My family and my friends are all thousands of miles away, celebrating in each other’s love & gratitude for what this beautiful life has brought them, sharing this year’s dinner table ‘Thankful For’s one by one, smile by smile. I’m not sad to not be there. I feel that love, I feel that gratitude mirroring my own, all the way across the planet.

I am the luckiest. I am grateful. I am so, so thankful.


Happy Thanksgiving, to my Canadian bests & brightests.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sentimientos olvidados,

Introducción, SpanishMintcovered